What is wrong with my car?

Asked by Feb 19, 2013 at 06:05 PM about the 2003 Ford Focus SVT

I recently just traded for a 03 ford focus svt. I was driving it this morning and i knew something was
wrong. when i put it in first gear, it would barely pull, rev up to about 5500 rpm and only accellerate to 10
mph. I tried shifting to second and the same thing occured. Moments later it wouldnt go anywhere. My
first guess was the clutch, then i asked around and people said it could be the tranny, throw out bearing,
or even a linkage cable. I wanted to get some info on it before i had someone look at it and hope that it
doesnt cost me an arm or leg to get it fixed. The car goes into gear fine, and is not making any noise or
grinding. It just does not pull. Any info or advice on what to do?

I suspect the EGR. Exhaust Gas Recirculaton is forcing it to breathe it's own farts....no, really this is an emmision control device which apparently is dysfunctional now. Your smog guy would spot this in a heartbeat.

103,885

Does the car have a warranty? It sounds like the clutch is used up.

Its a stock clutch, thats why it was my first guess, with 160,000 miles. I just didn't know if it could be anything else

would the EGR cause it to not go anywhere? i just figured that would make it bog down. I had to get it towed home. Again, im not any mechanic

coulda woulda shoulda --do not have your automobile in my back pocket, but would hazard to guess if this device were stuck open could stop you like a hungry lion on a pound of ground penguin.

Does fourth gear stay with the clutch out, allow the engine to outrace the rest of the drivetrain...just to give creedence to my cohorts assesment of what's wrong?

Thanks, do you know how much that would run me? i heard it would be killer to get to the clutch and a bitch to put together.

I'd have gone thru at least three clutches by now....dainty paw...ain't ye?

'bog down' is the tipper. Clutches would never cause you to 'bog down'!

103,885

Extra exhaust gasses are not gong to effect a manual transmission.

Ford Focus was the replacement for the Escort. Think they musta just put a new name badge on the escort. Americans are good at BIG! never been good at small. Think of the beloved Pontiac fiero, Chevy corvette were not designed like a British or German or Swedish idea of what a sports car is supposed to be.

tenspeed, in as much as will buck like a buckin' bronco...at least there is enough meat left to do that!

remember the Pontiac Tempest what had the transmission at the rear end? Whatever happened to that...I wonder~

103,885

Dalton never said anything about bucking. He said the engine speed went up in first gear but the car hardy moved. Shifted to second and the same thing happened. After that, it wouldn't move at all.--- That sounds like a worn clutch to me.

would you recommend a stock clutch or something like a 2nd stage. i want something that will last long, but will also give me performance

103,885

Stock or stage 2 clutch is your choice. The clutch in there now is either the first or second clutch and if it was replaced, it probably was a stock replacement. That would be 160,000 on the original or 80,000 miles on two stock clutches. The next clutch will probably be the car's last clutch.

OK I HAVE A SIMILAR PROBLEM BUT WITH MY HONDA ACCORD AND NOTICED THE DRIVE LIGHT IS BLINKING AND THE CAR WONT MOVE BUT ITS ON N ACCELERATING AND EVERYTHING

that's a worn clutch right there!