WHATS REASON FOR LOSS OF POWER ?

135

Asked by Apr 26, 2014 at 06:28 PM about the 1987 Buick Grand National

WHEN STARTING OUT FROM STOP, ITS FINE, THEN, UPON DRIVER DEMAND, ENGINE SEEMS TO STARVE FOR FUEL,  LIKE I'M IN 3RD GEAR.   @25 TO30 MPH. I HAVE TO RELEASE PEDAL AND REAPPLY TO GET GOING AGAIN, BUT IT SEEMS TO LOSE POWER, A FUEL ISSUE.   YES ?    ALSO NEED TO REPLACE CRANK SENSOR, HARD STARTS, BACKFIRE THRU THROTTLEBODY.   NEED TO REPLACE DIEHARD BATTERY, WAY OVERDUE.    BETTER REPLACE FUEL AND AIR FILTERS ALSO.  THESE CARS NEED EVERYTHING JUST RIGHT TO RUN GOOD.    I'M THE ORIGINAL OWNER, MINT CONDITION, GARAGE KEPT, WELL CARED FOR, BRAKE FLUID CHANGED EVERY 6 MONTHS, AN ABSOLUTE MUST WITH THE POWERMASTER BRAKE SYSTEM.    WENT THRU 2 REBUILDS.   ONLY HAD 1 FRONT END ALIGHNMENT.   SOLID CAR.  I KNOW A LOT ABOUT THIS CAR, DEALT WITH EVERY ISSUE,  BUSY AT WORK, THOUGHT I'D REACH OUT AND ASK FOR ADVISE, PROBABLY ALREADY ANSWERED MY OWN QUESTION, IN TALKING TO MYSELF, BUT ANY IDEAS, OUTTHERE ?

16,045

I had a problem like this - if I was gentle on the acceleration it was fine. changed fuel filter.checked fuel pump.etc.,etc.; so I ran thru some seafoam and started using only octane 93 - couple of tanks later everything fine and I use only the highest octane (one station in town has 93 all the rest have 91 - I stick to 93)

Best Answer
135

thanks chassy, been running sunoco ultra , two tanks now, changed fuel filter, battery just died, put a new diehard gold in , runs much better, I'll give it a few days and see how she runs. Interesting how battery bit the dust, kinda knew that maybe that was the problem, and now it went dead almost immediately. been waiting for it to go, knew it was coming, amazing how long it lasted. 3 years beyond its time. DIEHARD BATTERIES are great. and your also right about the seafoam, the throttlebody needs a little TLC, also. Thankyou so very much " CHASSY" , your input was greatly appreciated. KEN

135

oh, one more thing, once the new battery was installed, it started up like yesterday, immediately, if not sooner. ran like the beast it is !!!!!!!! gotta love this car, its a MACHINE, THE REAL DEAL !!!!!!!!! HASN'T BEEN ONE DAY GONE BY WITH EVERYONE SAYING, I LOVE YOUR CAR !

135

CHECKOUT MY RATING ON FIXYA.COM, HELPED THOUSANDS OF PEOPLE, GAVE THEM MORE THAN THEY NEEDED, THEY LOVE IT WHEN YOU GIVE THEM SOLUTIONS , CONCRETE SOLUTIONS, NOT WELL, MAYBE IT MIGHT BE THIS OR THAT, GET REAL, EITHER YA KNOW OR YA DON'T, RIGHT !!!!!!!!!!

135

WHATS THIS # 35, 35 RUBLES ? GIVE "CHASSY" 4000, AT LEAST SHE ANSWERED, GAVE DIRECTION, KNEW SOMETHING, C'MON MAN.............................