How do I repair a power antenna?

Asked by Sep 14, 2015 at 02:37 PM about the 1986 Buick Grand National

The power antenna intermittently raises or fails to raise.  It sometimes raises when I drive over potholes, sometimes when I turn on the radio, but only when it feels like it.

1,685

check the wires at the antenna the plug in

Replace it..Very inexpensive..

2,480

I suspect you have a bad relay There are two 12v power sources to the antenna One is hot all the time One is hot when the radio is on The relay does the switching....when you turn off the car, the 12v from the radio is dropped, the relay trips and and the antenna goes down. Reverse that when you turn on the radio. If the relay is defective it would give you the results you see. PS I repair power antenna