Should I switch the engine and transmission out or just the transmission?

Asked by Dec 03, 2014 at 10:42 PM about the 1972 Datsun 240Z

Just picked up a 1972 240Z with an automatic transmission (stuck in first gear). I'm not
sure if I should fix the auto transmission, or just put a new engine and transmission in it.
Any clue on what will fit as far as the engine and transmission goes?

Given the popularity of old 240Zs there are probably several collector forums around that will have plenty of detailed how-to's and suggestions on restoring/rebuilding these cars. Personally I'd look at rebuilding the original drivetrain before swapping it out, unless of course it's a basket case or boat anchor.

If the engine runs well just have the transmission rebuilt. Probably easier than finding a used one out there.

I forgot to mention that the engine doesn't currently run.

I would have the engine rebuilt as well. For the same reason as above.

Why not swap over to a small block ford motor 302, theyre easy to maintain and find since ford used them in several types of cars and trunks. Heres a link: