Programmable Chip Keys at Walmart?

Asked by Sep 13, 2009 at 03:08 PM about the 2003 Ford Focus

I have a basic 2003 Ford Focus. Two years ago, I lost one of the two chip keys that came with the car when we bought it new.  I read the Owner's Manual and it says that I need TWO pre-programmed keys in order to make a third key.  The Ford dealership charges a lot for something so simple.

Earlier today, I went to Walmart and bought a chip key.  I told the employee that I have a 2003 Ford Focus and then told him what the Owner's Manual said (two chip keys to make a third).  He said that he put my key into his computer and that it was (or was not) a "parking lot-programmable key." He then said that his machine should make an exact copy of my key and insisted that it will work immediately with no more programming.  He admitted that he has not tested it with a Ford Focus.

The 2003 Ford Focus is fitted with PATS-II.

The case that the Walmart copy came in has this written on it:
In-Store Programmable ChipKey. I-Ford150

Will the Walmart copy work?

145

I have no experience with Walmart keys, but unless their machine can duplicate the transponder code stored in your key then some type of programming will be required. However if you have two keys stored in you cars computer (Keys are not programmable the car's PCM is.) then all you have to do is insert key 1, turn to run, then off, insert key 2, turn to run, then off, insert new key, turn to run. New key is now programmed to PCM. Note: The ability to duplicate a key's transponder code would negate taht security feature.

45

you will have to go to a ford dealership to have the programming done.. it takes about 30 - 45 minutes.. the car companies have made it this way so that the keys cannot be easily duplicated

300

When they hand it to you it is programmed and it will work. They have a very new technolgy that does not require the 2 keys to be present. It is an amazing step forward for a retailer to be able to perform this service for consumers so quickly and cost effectively. They sell hundres of these keys per week and that will only grow as people learn this service is available in the stores. Please post a follow up on your keys programming.

110

<----manages a walmart, chip keys are not available at walmart, must go to dealer

ARE YOU SERIOUS!!?? COME ON,car gurus-3 year old thread!?? CLEAN THIS UP!!!

70

I just bought a Walmart transponder key for my 2006 Corolla. It basically is a "clone" of the original key and thus does not need to have vehicle programmed. The downside is that the key uses a battery. Not sure how long that lasts or if the code gets deleted if the battery goes bad. Worked great. About $59 though.

60

got mine made at M&D's or more commonly known as Ace Hardware Store for my Ford Focus 2008 . Cost $ 76.41 all together with taxes. The guy though said he had to check with the car to make sure it worked and so he did and it turned out fine. A little expensive there but those chip keys are every where's you go. I'm sure it's cheaper by about $ 20.00 buck at side shop or individuals places but that's the ball park. But yes they got us as for as getting a new key made it will not be cheap no more.

120

Years ago it would cost you lots of money if you lost your original transponder keys and you must bring both the original key and the car to dealer to make key. Today you almost make key at any professional lock smith. If you need extra key, you could buy them on ebay very cheap ($10) then have it cut at dealer for $10 then bring it to the shopping mall (most of big mall) at the key kios or lock smith to program. PLEASE NOTE: there are two ways to program the key. 1- The easy way (most lock smith or at the malls) is to CLONE YOUR KEYS 2- The RIGHT WAY (dealer do but you need original and the vehicle) is to PROGRAM THE KEY ACCORDINGLY and to communicate with your vehicle ECU. any way if you live in Maryland I could help you program your key or if you have any question please email me at donngomd@yahoo.com

110

You can program a third key if you have two original dealer keys. You cannot program a third key yourself if one key has been lost and the remaining key has been cloned as a duplicate. The dealer will provide an original, Home Depot will sell you a clone. That is why the dealer requires your car and costs twice as much. When you go to program a key yourself with one original and one cloned, the car recognizes it as the same key

80

just tried this and discovered the walmart copy's wont work to make a third, but i did find an interesting work around if your lucky enough, My 2001 Taurus has a remote start that just happened to be programed with the missing key to my ford and that with the other key i have was enough to program the third key

50

I jut opened a key shop and was thinking about running a special for customers like yourselves. $65 for any Ford (non fobic or high security/laser cut) duplicate programmed with a free remote. And the following without remotes $45 Chevy's $55 Honda's $95 Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep The cost on keys for most cars (96-2009) on the road have come down significantly and the programmers are paid for at this point. Capital City Locksmith in Tallahassee , Florida

20

hears the deal wallmart sells chiped key blanks for 59.95 if you have one (!) of yor working chiped keys they will put it in there bomb ass key make n deal.a.bob and presto take that key to your car it will work but the fall back is you dont get free remotes that u dont need anyways for all the rest of you cars but if you ask nicely you could find out where you could go advertise your new buisness

10

My key has a chip and they said they could make a program key chip key but im in charlotte n.c walmart off independence

40

So many of you are wrong (esp zebdet). Walmart makes clone keys and so do all the big box hardware stores. They will work in all but very new cars

20

Don't let anyone tell you that you have to go to the Ford dealership to get keys. You can get them off Ebay or Amazon, and program them yourself for free. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyx1WDGNbF8

I have 2005 Ford focus and the key is not programmable. . I accidentally unlocked another ford focus that looked exactly like mine and didn't realize until I opened the driver door with my key and it was not my car. . I was at the grocery store and my car was just a few spots over but was shocked and surprised my key opened another ford focus. Also, I've used an old crown vic master key that was used for the police cars for the police department when they used to be all crown vics(I was told that's where the key came from) that also unlocked my door numerous times when I locked my keys in my car and I had no spare. So it shouldn't be much to duplicate it since it's such a common key I guess and not programmable right?? A bit scary knowing somebody else that has a focus like mine or the crown vic could unlock my car but nice if you don't have a spare and know you could open it with somebody else's Focus's key. .