Oil pressure on and off ??

iceraider_87
0

Asked by Jan 11, 2011 at 08:02 PM about the 1987 Dodge Raider

Ok I just got my Raider 4 cyl  a few weeks ago just for ice fishing and I love it so far other than one little thing. It's happened a few times now were i get no oil pressure and the engine pings. The first few times I just restarted the truck and all was fine but a few days ago when I was out fishing I could not get the oil pressure up at all. after getting towed home i went to drive it into the garage and the oil pressure is now ok and has been ok for the last few days.    I'm going to bring it to a mechanic but what shud he be looking for ???  

Thank you
I hope to get this fixed so i can keep the truck.

Dan Connell
10,175

sounds like the oil pumps pressure relief valve is shot, id start there. when you get oil pressure what kinda#s are you seeing?

iceraider_87
0

Dan thank you for the response. Usually it hovers in the middle (30 / 60 Ibs in ) of the gauge depending on driving condition's with out any pinging. I have asked this question On a few other boards and have been getting a little flamed at for asking the same question other boards. With all the same response "check the timing chain could be loose in thus not turning the oil pump chain" I just got the Chilton's book on the raider and in the book it also says check the pressure relief valve spring . So again thank you for your impute

iceraider_87
0

The other day I had no oil pressure again and I found out that if I drive until it changes to 2nd gear the oil pressure kicks in then and the engine stops pinging. I also noticed that it happens when its really cold -20 or colder so its seems like that spring is getting stuck then with pressure behind it it finally opens.

Neogator
0

I was told many years ago that the oil ports in the 2.6l are smaller than they should have been and that you can't use 10w40 instead of 10w30 when it's colder like some do in the summer. Switching to a slightly thinner oil and adding some Lucas to the mix may help.