Opel Corsa overheating

Asked by Jun 17, 2016 at 11:13 PM about the 2004 Opel Corsa

I have an 2004 OPEL CORSA CLASSIC ELEGANCE 1700 DTi. Water pipe
burst on hi-way, car cut out. Mechanic tells me there's no compression an
that the engine got hurt and might have to be replaced. Now I'm thinking,
Isn't there a safety mechanism on the Opel that cuts out engine when it
reaches a certain temperature? What is the chances the mechanic is not
telling the truth? Please help.

Normally if the water boils or you burst a water pipe the engine overheats and can blow the gasket between the head and the engine, that's why the garage is telling you there is no compression. If this is correct and depending on what damage has been done with the overheating it may require having the engine rebuilt. This sadly is a very expensive job. If the car has high mileage it may be a good idea to replace the worn parts anyway. I know this because I did the same thing on my Astra two years ago. back then it was a R 28000 rand job. Perhaps ask GM for a price on a new sub assembly

12,385

No SAFETY! IF the engine is "cooked" replace it Don't rebuild, it's more cost effective to locate a spare low mileage engine from a parts breaker. Regards

22,415

just get a second opinion-