Engine Problem

70

Asked by May 19, 2009 at 02:55 AM about the 2000 Opel Corsa

Year 2000. My car is cutting off and lacks the power it used to have. Recently after a lot of guess work by so-called mechanics, they have put in a semi-new computer box.  Do I have to buy a new engine?

12,355

Find a New Mechanic - Sounds like a basic fuel / spark issue and should be able to be located by a qualified professional Not enough information to help you out here though.

70

Thanks Mike. I will tey and get more information but some of the work done has been, changing the spark plugs, buying and fitting a new fuel tank etc.. i really dont want to sell my car but it has given me enough trouble to get rid of it.

115

Hi please dont let fools tell you what THEY THINK IT IS, please, tell me more about your problem, maybe i can give some advise to you! Francois.

115

The car struggles to start sometimes ?? Sounds to me that it might be a faulty petrol pump or worn out cranck gear on the timing belt. I would rather replace the timing gear and t/belt and tensioner before changing the petrol pump

190

Hi Francois, you sound like a sensible man, I have an Opel Corsa 1.6IE Classic 4 door year 2000 - it too is cutting out for no reason and we have tried everything from fuel lines to spark plugs and it has been to umpteen mechanics who have not been able to sort the problem out. The other day my husband was running the car without the fuel cap and she would not cut out so we thought it might be a breather problem which he checked and cleaned but still it was cutting out so now I am driving with my fuel cap slightly loose and have had no problems for two weeks but alas yesterday she cut out on me again, I am at my wits end now and am seriously thinking of selling the car - please help me we have tried everything. Could there be water in the fuel, another theory???? - Where is the drain plug for the fuel tank. My email address is Ron.Edward@seedex.co.zw (yes I live in Zimbabwe so you know how frustrating it is here)

10

Full pum ok comper ok over full. Do staart on full frottel. But do not rev up

250

Hi, same issue with my Corsa lite 2000, replaced crank sensor, bogey's, distributor pack and more. Still cutting out. After replacing crank timing sensor car drove fine for a week, then started to strugle firing up and finally not start at all after a couple of days. Tomorrow I am checking the sensor allignment, if that is fine the last option i can think off is replacing the crank pulley. This i hear is known problem in these model cars....the timing gear/tooth wears down....

250

Me again, crank shaft pulley key groove worn out causing timing to move by 15 degrees....on my way to buy new one...R200 at goldwagen.

250

Replaced the Crank Pulley. Car is starting and running fine.

30

which Goldwagen would that be...? I parted with R600 for that including the inner one.

10

I have a 2007 Opel Cora Lite 1.4 in excellent condition. Serviced regularly BUT all of a sudden the fan keeps on going off. So loud that people at an intersection are inclined to stare. Took it to Opel who changed the thermostat and the radiator hose etc but the fan still goes off especially if driving slowly. Very concerned as we were told this was normal.

180

People please do not fall for money makers...... Corsa is a very simple and reliable car, if you know the basics. First of all ... 15 degrees on crank timing ??? on that pulley in the photo? no! and even if it was, 15 degrees wont cause the problems you have. Corsa has 4 major components that needs to be working and in good order 1, idling sensor 2, TPS, 3, throttle body butterfly position 4, timing overall. TPS tells the idling sensor where the butterfly is on startup and assists in idling, calculating airflow and fuel, therefor the butterfly needs to be at the exact precise setting to make all this work 100%, again as long as your timing is in order, simplest way to see if your timing is right and doing what its suppose to do buy a timing gun at MIDAS or anywhere and check on idling if your cam pulley mark is were its suppose to be when firing on cyl 1, also when you ref up the engine see what your mark on pulley does? if it jumps around or moves back by more than 10 degrees its time to change your cam belt tensioner, getting back to your throttle, Also see if the map sensor works by pulling out the map sensor hose 6mm hose at the throttle not at the map sensor and while car idling suck strongly on hose and if the rpm goes up it works just fine. remember to close the metal hose on the throttle with your finger while doing this test. any more questions contact me direct 0740784593

20

Hi Johann you seem it be very knowledgeable when it comes to Corsa motors, I have a 2005 1.4 Corsa utility. When I start it it wont rev for about 2 minutes, it has no power and tends to overheat. I have put it onto 2 diagnostic computers and no errors come up. I had an auto electrician check it and he found no problems. He and I together checked the timing and everything lined up. I also replaced the sensor on the crank shaft pulley. The only problem that I know exists is a hole in the exhaust pipe. do you have any idea as to what the cause might be. Thanks Anthony 083 269 8559

20

Sorry wrong cell number should be 079 326 8668

180

Hi Anthony, its dificault to explain here but its a cold start problem could be your term sensor on intake manifold, small sensor one wire but also can be caused by tps, both comunicate with each other, best is to give me a call or whatsapp when you in front of the car so i can explain properly.

Hi Johann and Members. I have a 2001 Corsa B with a C14NZ engine. The car idles normally. However, it backfires and struggles for power when attempting to accelerate. On the highway I've resorted to driVing in second gear to make the have some sort of power. When the car is driven the outlet manifold is becoming red glowing hot where the Oxygen sensor is connected. I have recently changed the spark plugs amd wires but this problem continues. Can you give me any guidance on how I can resolive this issue? Thanks Israel

20

Hi Israel, I have a similar problem, Car lacks power, overheats very easily and wont rev when first started. I have had it analyzed on 3 different occasion with a computer and they find no error codes. Replaced the spark plugs, spark plug leads, crank sensor, throttle positioning sensor, MAP sensor and knock sensor. Checked the timing all perfect. To date have not managed to fix it. I know how you feel.

Hi Anthony. Thanks for your response. It is indeed frustrating. Can anyone advise on resolving this issue with the C14NZ Engine?

20

H Israel have you had some one connect you car to a diagnostic computer to see if it brings up any errors. If it shows errors then you know what is faulty. Mine does not bring up any errors.

180

Anthony - please change fan switch sorry for only returning to you now,,, I got caught up with work, but I analysed your diag test I did with you, its your fan switch causing the main problem on your bakkie, lost you on whatsapp sorry. Here is a pic of what it looks like

180

Israel- well u have problems... Exuast is blocked - red hot manifold Low power - Exhaust partially Backfire is only caused by one thing //// TIMING !!!! well look please call me or whatsapp on 0740784593

180

Anthony - located under your coil pack right side of head ( standing in front of car )

Thank you for the guidance Johann and Anthony. Johann I will add you on Whats app.

Good morning JohAnn, I did a diagnostic on my Corsa B. I got code29- Fuel pump relay low voltage. Can you advise if this could cause the problem I'm having and how I am to fix this issue please?

180

Replace fuel relay found on the right side next to fuel pedal behind cover where the bonet lever is.

20

Dear Johann I drive an Opel Corsa 160is, 1998 hatch model. My spark plugs are getting wet everytime. Any advise on what could be causing it? Thank you. Sidney (061 426 0741)

Hi mine is doing the same if it is could what could be the problem thanks Sandra 0781824938

Hy Johann I have corsa lite is keeping on breaking camshaft please help me thanks simon 0835178099

180

Hi check its a valve getting stuck, could be a rocker or valve but the problem will def be on a valve not operating accordingly, solution complete overhaul on head, valves, rockers seats, engineering, should be fine from there on.

180

I also just want to share a problem i resolved today after weeks of struggling, a client of mine has a corsa 1.4 lite 2005 and overheated the whole time, we checked the fan, radiator, fan switch, heat sensor and pump eventually and still fan only kicked on at red overheating phase, so after checking and changing relay and all the goodies, and nothing worked. For some reason i checked battery power and found that the alternator charged only 12.4 v then checked why and found a faulty earth cable on the negative terminal going to starter bolt to earth the engine....lol.. Tightened it and all sorted car running cold everything ok. Before the cold start even had issues and now its all working 100%. So if this sounds like something happening to you, check earth cable and the volts charge should be 13.8-14.2 v

Hi Johann... I am driving 2002 corsa lite 1.4 engine, now it giving me problem the idle is too high and durring driving it just loos power sometimes switch off whill driving. What might be the problem?

Hi Johann can i have your contact deltail please i need a good mechanic

Hi Guys i have a problem where the engen fan of my Opel Corsa 1.4 lite goes on but very late. Any ideas why its doing that. Kenneth please help

180

0740784593 or topqualitycs@gmail.com

Hi Johann, I'm driving corsa utility 2008 but im experiencing a many problems on it , first it cut off when accelerating today 4rpm what could be the cause?and heavy on fuel consumption

180

Check timing ... And if it overheats change heat sensor under coil pack

hi Johann , my corsa bakkie swings but it floods the system and over fuels and when i do get it too idle its on a high revv and blows a air sound on intake ,please advise me on where too check .thanks

180

Seems you have a idling sensor issue, but check timing aswel and also change idling sensor and tps should be sorted then

Don't think its relevant but my corsa started to choke on ignition, sometimes not even starting and dashboard not working whilst driving. After I had a sensor in the engine changed and more spending my mechanic finally found out it was a connection in the dashboard. Been running ok now for the past 6months.