Engine Problem

50

Asked by May 19, 2009 at 02:55 AM about the 2000 Opel Corsa

Year 2000. My car is cutting off and lacks the power it used to have. Recently after a lot of guess work by so-called mechanics, they have put in a semi-new computer box.  Do I have to buy a new engine?

11,025

Find a New Mechanic - Sounds like a basic fuel / spark issue and should be able to be located by a qualified professional Not enough information to help you out here though.

50

Thanks Mike. I will tey and get more information but some of the work done has been, changing the spark plugs, buying and fitting a new fuel tank etc.. i really dont want to sell my car but it has given me enough trouble to get rid of it.

85

Hi please dont let fools tell you what THEY THINK IT IS, please, tell me more about your problem, maybe i can give some advise to you! Francois.

95

The car struggles to start sometimes ?? Sounds to me that it might be a faulty petrol pump or worn out cranck gear on the timing belt. I would rather replace the timing gear and t/belt and tensioner before changing the petrol pump

170

Hi Francois, you sound like a sensible man, I have an Opel Corsa 1.6IE Classic 4 door year 2000 - it too is cutting out for no reason and we have tried everything from fuel lines to spark plugs and it has been to umpteen mechanics who have not been able to sort the problem out. The other day my husband was running the car without the fuel cap and she would not cut out so we thought it might be a breather problem which he checked and cleaned but still it was cutting out so now I am driving with my fuel cap slightly loose and have had no problems for two weeks but alas yesterday she cut out on me again, I am at my wits end now and am seriously thinking of selling the car - please help me we have tried everything. Could there be water in the fuel, another theory???? - Where is the drain plug for the fuel tank. My email address is Ron.Edward@seedex.co.zw (yes I live in Zimbabwe so you know how frustrating it is here)

10

Full pum ok comper ok over full. Do staart on full frottel. But do not rev up

190

Hi, same issue with my Corsa lite 2000, replaced crank sensor, bogey's, distributor pack and more. Still cutting out. After replacing crank timing sensor car drove fine for a week, then started to strugle firing up and finally not start at all after a couple of days. Tomorrow I am checking the sensor allignment, if that is fine the last option i can think off is replacing the crank pulley. This i hear is known problem in these model cars....the timing gear/tooth wears down....

190

Me again, crank shaft pulley key groove worn out causing timing to move by 15 degrees....on my way to buy new one...R200 at goldwagen.

190

Replaced the Crank Pulley. Car is starting and running fine.

20

which Goldwagen would that be...? I parted with R600 for that including the inner one.