My Corsa 1.3i 1998 model lacks power on acceleration to the extent that I have to pump the gas constantly while driving to get any power, it also cuts out after long drives (but not often). - any id

Asked by Apr 04, 2014 at 03:08 AM about the 1998 Opel Corsa

I can get to a high speed of about 100 - 120km/h and nothing more.

I constantly have to pump the accelerator whilst driving because it doesn't have power.

my idling is erratic, after starting, it kinda goes up and down by itself without any
assistance from me.

I have replaced the spark plugs, the air flow meter and the throttle valve - as these were
all suspected or suggested causes.

Have you checked to see if the catalytic converter is clogged up? with the engine running put your hand behind the exhaust- there should be a good strong flow comin' out- hold your breath- if not the CC, look for electronic failure

Thanks @jamnblues I am however not too sure what I should be expecting when holding my hand behind the exhaust, I have googled it but I've only found very vague instructions.

the Cat has a limited life- they are expensive but need to be replaced regularly- instead of breathing the exhaust, have a good mechanic check your car for the problems you mention, and ask him about your exhaust- it sounds like the mechanic you were using when you replaced the air flow meter was just guessing- that gets expensive too- find someone who can figure it out- the first time-