grease for window regulator gears

Asked by Aug 24, 2014 at 09:08 AM about the 1990 Opel Corsa

Hello.

I have manual window regulator, and I would like to know if can i use lithium complex
grease(mineral oil base) the one that uses for wheel bearing(NLGI 2/ALL PURPOSE
GREASE)to lubricate the gears of the regulator?
There is a metal drive gear and a round it,there is a plastic driven gear,which the
cables,also,wound on it.
Some people said to me that i can use that lithium complex(oil based)grease,because
the plastic gear work fine with mineral gear,but i,also,read that people recommended
to use silicon grease,white grease.What do you recommend?
By the way,i can add that i see a leftover light yellow grease on the gears and at other
regulator gear(the same type)a light red leftover grease.

Thank in advance.
Or I need special grease for that?

Thanks in advance

33,465

I've used it with no problem. Try useing a paint brush to apply it. Goop it good.

Hi BoholMark. Can i understand from the answer that the plastic gear in my regulator is made to work with oil based grease and it will not damage with time from the grease? I see in the net articles that says:use only white grease,synthetic grease,silicone grease etc...since they say"the mineral oil will damage the plastic gear,rollers etc."and i can't figure out if it is refer to a special types of regulators(while in my regulator it will not damage it)?or,maybe they only want to promote the synthetics grease? Should i be worry? Thanks in advance.

33,465

Don't worry about it. Just cover anything that moves or could move. Synthetic grease is fine if you have it but not nessery.

Thanks BoholMark for your help.