can someone id this car?

10

Asked by Nov 01, 2011 at 12:01 PM about the 1968 Ford Fairlane

I believe this a fairlane 500? any info would be great. thx.

525

Looks like a Fairlane 500 to me. Torino's DID come in a 4 door sedan body, but the car in your pic isn't wearing Torino trim. The emblem on the rear quarter of this car is "Fuzzy" in the picture, but looks like a Fairlane script. Hope this helped.

headlights and grill look like a 68 torino 500,what do the emblems on rear quarter say.

10

thank you. I believe u r correct. not a good picture but was taken 25 years ago.

10

thank you papa. there are alot of confusing things about this one and 4 door fairlanes are hard to find. I could not tell if it was a fairlane or a galaxie. this pic might help.

525

ford4ever, I'm brand new to this site (as of about a week ago), I found this site by accident and decided to join and answer a few questions. I know little about this site, all I can see is that it seems to be a great place to go for someone with a question that only requires a short and very generic answer. With that being said.... There are NO questions that you have about this car that can't be answered with 100% accuracy. There are people (like myself) who live and breath Fairlanes and Torinos. We belong to the Fairlane Club of America. I welcome you to join (if you want) and ask your questions on our club website (I'm on there every day). In the meantime (on this site), I can say that there is nothing confusing about the car in your picture. It's a 4 door sedan, 1968, Fairlane or Torino can't be determined by your picture. It's NOT a Galaxie. As I mentioned B4, the lack of the body side trim (specific to the Torino trim package) indicates that this car is either a Fairlane or a Fairlane 500. Without information being provided from the door tag or Vin # of this car, all anyone can do is speculate on what it truely is (Fairlane, Fairlane 500, or Torino). This car COULD be a Torino, one that has had a repaint and the exterior trim never re-installed...As I said, no way to tell this by looking at a picture. The Body serial code of the car would have to be known to determine what the car truely is. (Third and fourth digits of the Vin #). You said "4 door Fairlanes are hard to find"... It's all about supply and demand...just like any other car. Total production #'s show that the 4 door sedans are the MOST abundant cars of the Fairlane/Torino nameplate in 1968. That doesn't meen that all of those cars still exist (they don't), that just represents the original "Supply" of the cars. The "Demand" for owning these cars is LOW. The marketplace is full of 2 door cars, GT's and Convertables...The 4 door cars are used up over time for parts to restore the more popular body styles. (Sad but true). If you have access to the Vin # or data plate information on this car I'd be happy to decode it for you, just post it here on this site. If you just wanted to see pictures of other 4 door cars, you could visit the FCA site....although you need to be a club member to have full access to the site, there are still photos available at the site for non-members to view. riffrafford.

Tail lights say 68 torino,one of the first built before they were produced in 69 with a different body style.4 door or not you got a rare car.

Maybe a Galaxy 500

Galaxy 500

nope torino 500,headlights & grill tell it all.te galaxie had a more slanted roof to trunk line.

what a bunch of bs,??

10

Thanks for your reply. Hard to find runners for sale. Unfortunately I no longer have the car. bought in 86. Gave to a desperate friend to get back to Tenn, after truck blew up. was a 1owner granny car when i bought it. good shape and original. I just could not remember model. now I am sure. definately not torino.

HAY,if you knew what it was,why even post.???

I actually own the 1968 Ford Torino Sedan. 68,000 miles all original. 289 under the hood with a 2 barrel carb. What you have there is my car. So I would just like to confirm as well that this is in fact a 1968 ford Torino Sedan. Also. Rebuilding? If not, I WANT YOUR PARTS!!!!