Tank question

Asked by Sep 26, 2011 at 03:04 PM about the 1958 Ford Fairlane

First post hope you can help me. 58 fairlane 500. I am trying to clean out my gas tank. I have removed the tank sensor and will be replacing. The tank screen can be seen from this hole but it is plumbed with metal line from the front bottom of tank. For the life of me I can't figure out how a person is to replace the strainer. Do I have to drop the tank or what? Should I be thinking of going electric?  Thanks for any help.  Keith

Guess no one wants to help with this one. Keith

615

I have always,had good luck,using muriatic acid(pool/concrete cleaner)..It takes all the scale,and rust,out of the tank,and screens..BUT- I suggest,,Dropping the tank,as you will have to flush it out,after the treatment..AND--As for answers,,you have to be patient,,as most of us,out here,have full-time jobs,and lives,at home..We cant be on the computer,24-7......Sorry!!!

6,635

Is the inside of the tank badly rusted or scalely ? It would be wise to drop the tank and clean it out as best possible. The screen is not replaceable without major work. Install an inline filter and forget it exists.