1957 ford fairlane 500

Asked by Dec 31, 2014 at 05:20 PM about the 1957 Ford Fairlane

the hood latch is broken and I cannot find a way to open it they say there is a plug under the dash but I cannot find it can you give me details on how to get to this to replace the cable that is broken.I cannot get my hood open

My uncle has a fleet of 1957 fords. he would be able to help you out. I do not have direct contact with him, but his son has a Facebook. if you are able to contact him Im sure he could get you the answer you need... David hartman, canton Ny . also if you google Kyle hartman renseler falls new york, you will find info.. he has ... no lie about 50 1957 fords!!!

72,385

This hood opens from outside the car. Look for a handle or lever on the outside front of the car. It may even be right under the front center lip of the hood. HTH. -Jim

I HAVE HEARD YOU HAVE TO GO INSIDE THE CAR IT WNAT OPEN FROM THE OUTSIDE THE CABLE IS BROKE

72,385

This is a 1957 model, correct? Unless someone, later, put the release inside, it's outside. HTH. -Jim

its no way on the outside I know it has to be done from the inside they say there is a plug in there you put a screwdriver in and turn and it will release it but I cannot find the plug

5,715

I have never heard of a plug in the firewall that you can remove and place a screwdriver in, turn and "WaLa" Open sesame! Sorry, no plug that I have ever heard of. You may mess up your paint some but you can work it from the front of the car and get the safety latch open also. I don't remember any pre 60 Ford with a cable hood release. Doesn't mean they didn't make one, I just don't remember one.

60

Previous posters must have never owned a 57 Ford. The plug is under the carpet at the center under the dash on the firewall. Pry it open and insert the screwdriver. It will open right up. Does not open from outside of the car. previous answers were wrong.

55,135

57 Ford hood has hinges at the front and opens at the windshield / Cowl area and tilts forward. That is why there is no hood latch accessible at the radiator / grill area. Damn guys, get it together.

55,135

Uhh Ohh, I posted to an old thread again!

5

Did you ever get your hood open? I have the same problem