MG 1974

Asked by Aug 25, 2012 at 11:28 PM about the 1974 MG MGB Roadster

I have a 1974 MG convertible - I was calling it an MGB but was told it is not a B - just an MG cuz it doesn't have the luggage rack on back - is that true?

4,765

Whoever told you that is an utter moron that doesn't know anything about MGs, the B is simply the denomination for the model of the car (basically the next letter after A, which was not only alphabetically but also modelwise its precedessor). The luggage rack has nothing to do with it as it's no more than an optional accessory... 1974 only had two drop head coupe MGs on the market: the B and the Midget, just look them up on the net and you'll be able to tell very quickly to see which one you have as they are quite different cars.

95

MG is the motor company like all other such as ford, they have models for ford an example is the Focus but they have others, the same thing goes for M.G they MGB is a model but they also have others, as ford has no car thats just the ford, MG has no car thats just MG, if you have a 2 seater convertable made by M.G in 1974 it is most likly an MGB if not then it would be the Midget has to eithier be the MG-B (MGB) or the MG-Midget thats like saying a bmw is not a bmw 3 series isnt a 3 series becuase it has no built in navigation, its a option nothing more than a extra package or option based on the substyle and choices made . By the way I had a 1972 MGB without a luggage rack many people do, and I like it better. the VIN matches to a MGB not just a plain MG

45

Right - add a luggage rack and it becomes an MGB? Whoever told you that has no clue. Personally, I don't like the luggage rack which was an optional extra either from MG or aftermarket. Having said that - I do use my rack occasionally -see pic. 1980 MGB plus Epic 18x racing kayak. The kayak weighs 38 lbs and I strap a milk crate on the rack and a foam oad on the top of the windshield and pray for no rain!