MGBGT

7,085

Asked by Oct 03, 2016 at 09:57 AM about the 1967 MG MGB

I have an mgbgt that when I turn the engine with a breaker bar will get stuck like the second cylinder is hitting the head and it I turn the engine backwards the piston will stop at the bottom of the cylinder I have the front crossmember out already to take the oil pan off. is their anyone who can tell me what I might be getting into. the engine has a brand ne rebuild done 2 years ago

83,425

That really sounds like there was a rod not put on as it should have been, taking the oil pan off should tell the tale.

Best Answer
7,085

it ran a couple of months ago but it has sat for a while

83,425

You may also want to look at the bottom of the pistons too there maybe a broken skirt.

7,085

can I do that without pulling the head or taking the crankshaft out

83,425

If a skirt is broken you will see it as it will be hung up on a connection rod.

7,085

heres the problem I found when I took the pan off both of the connecting rod cap bolts broke and the the piston fell down in the engine and bent the connecting rod and marred the crankshaft and the camshaft

83,425

Was it a shop that rebuilt the engine? I don't know if they gave you any warranty but it looks like it was not setup correctly using the proper torque numbers. If it didn't damage the block, your best bet is to have it redone, the cam is a loss but they might be able to save the crankshaft buy turning it down, of curse the connecting rod is shot, can't tell from the pic if there is any piston damage. Man what a bummer. If your not too concerned about an all correct numbers vehicle you might consider getting a entire rebuilt engine, one with a warranty so at least the engine is covered if it happens again. Sorry man that kind of stuff just make me sick, especially when you trust someone to do it right.

7,085

the guy that did it is dead now. it was done 6 years ago. he just did the head full rebuild so everything in the block is completely original. so the bearings were probably frozen

83,425

Ok then the block should still be in good shape, the head might need some work due to the piston but that will be evident when the head is off.

7,085

yeah but since the shop I got it done at did nothing with the block all of the bearings are completely original and the connecting rod as beaten the crankshaft and the cam and yesterday I got the engine out and one of the pushrod lifters is stuck and broke so I got to get that but I am going to completely rebuild the block and replace all the bearings

83,425

Good call on that, then you will know what you have when it is finished.