I am now asking about the Volvo it won't pass smog cause of the nox. It's a1985 dl wagon 245 4 cylinder 2.3. The only thing's done to it was changed the oil, air filter and vacuum leaks. It passed 2

40

Asked by Aug 20, 2015 at 10:20 PM about the 1985 Volvo 245

2 yrs. ago. Could someone please help I
need to smog my car really soon.

Thank all of you for your help

SuzieQ

790

Because your car is old, I will advise that you go to a smog repair station. They are more specialized of doing quick and temporary fixes for car being rejected by the DEQ stations.

Best Answer
40

That's not why

40

That's not why they make it harder and harder to pass because they want everyone to buy new cars

56,825

High NOX is caused by the engine running too lean or too hot, bad catalytic converter, faulty EGR system, or excessive carbon deposits in the combustion chambers. A vehicle only has to pass the emission standards for the model year that it was produced. In your case, 1985. I agree that they check older models more carefully during the safety part of the vehicle inspection, sometimes to the point of nit picking. But as far as emissions goes it's pretty much cut and dry. You have to meet or come in below the standards for the model year of the vehicle. Vehicles 1967 (California 1965) and older have a blanket specification. Also remember that the tie goes to the vehicle. In other words if your spec is say 300 and you test 300 you pass. HTH. -Jim

Best Answer
40

Sorry yours was the best answer. This is what it reads MAX: 788 AVE: 473 MEAS: 1507. I am afraid it won't pass. Please help me. Thank you

56,825

Since you've had issues with vacuum leaks before, check it out again. Make sure all of the vacuum hoses are in good condition and properly routed. Remove and clean the EGR valve and the EGR passages. A quick test of the EGR system is have the engine running and apply vacuum directly to the EGR valve. This will open the valve and the engine should stall. If it doesn't, the valve and passages are clogged. If the engine does stall the EGR system is most likely operating correctly. As for the catalytic converter there's really no way to test it other than a visual inspection. If it's glowing (literally) there's a problem! Or if it appears damaged or discolored. Discoloration comes from overheating. Some converters have a fresh air tube plugged into them. If yours does be sure that it's not clogged and is hooked up. As for carbon deposits in the combustion chambers, run a tank or 2 of premium gasoline through it and drive it at expressway speeds. This will help clean it out. You engine should be running at around 195°F. If it's running significantly higher than that there's a problem with the cooling system that needs to be addressed. This will drive up the NOX emissions. Since it's been 2 years you'll want to do a complete tune up as well (plugs, wires, cap and rotor). Change the PCV valve, and crankcase ventilation filter, if equipped. HTH. -Jim

40

Well thank you I will give it a try. Could an exhaust leak make it not pass?

56,825

You're welcome. Glad to help. Yes, definitely. If you have an exhaust leak you'll fail because they won't be able to get a reading at the tailpipe. HTH. -Jim

40

Thank you again you have been most helpful.

56,825

You're welcome. Glad to help. -Jim

40

I have just one more question, what's expressway speed?

56,825

Around 60 to 75 MPH. HTH. -Jim

40

Todaywe are driving it from cal.to Arizona so hopefully this does the trick. How often should this be done? Not the drive but driving it for an hr. or so?

56,825

I'd say two or three times per year should be good. HTH. -Jim