May not be the battery (Totally) after all

Asked by Jun 26, 2012 at 10:14 AM about the 1984 Volvo 245

I had posted before about my kids car dying and not wanting to start - had some helpful answer but now I have this better description -
    The problem is that I absolutely CAN jump it. Then I drive it out into traffic, and it dies in the middle of the street. There is something other than a battery draining going on. It is running, and then there is a click, my lights go crazy, and then nothing. Engine dead. No turn-over.
Ideas???

1,175

The car will run of the battery for a little while. With the car running read the voltage at battery. should read 13.5 v or higher at idle. if its less than 12.6 v it is safe to assume that your alternator is not charging.

210,495

I agree, do you know how old the battery is? Might be on the way out. Check the voltages like Mike suggested and get back to us. Or remove the battery and take it to a local auto parts store, like Autozone, they will test it for free.

Hey guys thanks - they managed to get it towed to a garage without paying an arm and a leg (only $40 in SF that's great). They just told me that the garage said the Idle too low and it just needed a tune up. We will see tomorrow how much this "Tune Up" cost me... because of course they didn't ask. It's hard having your kids living on a different coast than you are....Thanks for you input - it gave me hope that it wasn't going to be something AWFUL!! :D