carburetor versus fuel injection

15

Asked by May 29, 2014 at 10:50 PM about the 1967 Volvo P1800

I have a 67 volvo 1800 s with a freshly
rebuilt B 18 engine I have a chance to
get new carburetors my friend  has
fuel injection he wants to get rid of it
for 1600 hunred does anybody know
which would give me more
horsepower or make my car go faster
new carburetor or fuel injection I need
help on this one

9,685

Carbs, are better if you ask me,more reliable,and horse power want be much differance .

16,665

I am not familiar with volvo nor your carb so JUST AN OPINION FROM AN OLDSTER. 4 barrels,scoops,adjustments that can be made using YOUR EARS, easy to clean,to modify,to trouble shoot. Used to be able to fool around with the jets,float,piston,nozzle,intake. [we could buy customizing parts,rebuild kits]. We could get a lot of hp out of an engine with tweeking everything from crank right through to carbs and no dam computer in our way. So in my books the carb is my choice. I guess your only disadvantage will be in what's available for you to buy to modify and maintain a 1967 carb from a 2014 parts supplier.

16,665

@Mark- (another thing I learned just today, I can hunt for@ instead of to) anyway- nice short & sweet answer. It took me 10 minutes to type my answer. Now I'm going to google for a picture of what this car looks like.

16,665

@ fanboats - found some pictures of 67 P1800 and specs that said duel carbs. sweet

1,145

You don't say what the FI system is? If it's an older Bosch unit from a Volvo. I would say way too much $$ for it. And is it an electronic system from 1971, or the mechanical system from '72 onward? As far as the carbs vs FI question, FI will afford a little more HP, efficiency and more consistency as well. BUT you will have to replace or modify the fuel tank, add a number of new hoses (high pressure return and send lines,) need the correct wiring harness, sensors, etc. Frankly, I've read your posts before and I don't think you're up to the task. Carbs are easier in the short run.

1,145

Oh, and if an original Bosch system, you will need a new cylinder head for the injectors. Your B18 head never had FI as an option, so will no workie.

1,145

A B20E head for electronic, and 10.5 compression, or a B20F head for the mechanical injection system.

16,665

stick with carbs & find an oldster who knows more about engines than computers.