Last Year

Maxime Laurent

Asked by Oct 27, 2008 at 06:46 PM about the 1983 Delorean DMC-12

What year Dolorean was last make?

Chris Burns

Chase Clark

The cars were manufactured in Ireland in 1981 and 1982. The so-called 1983 cars are actually leftover parts from the 1982 production after the factory shut down. Those few cars produced in 1983 were assembled in Ohio after most everything left was shipped to the States. As a bit of further trivia, the stainless steel panels were manufactured in France and the British Government was so furious after the failure of the car company which it had invested considerable resources into, that it somehow obtained the large fabrication molds for the body panels and sunk them in the North Sea. Hence, the reason why no new body panels have ever been produced since that time.

Juan Moreno Góngora

Chase Clark

I know it is widely reported as DMC Houston was making NEW DeLoreans last year, but that is not exactly true. For the most part the 'new' DeLoreans are cars that are being put together from old OEM parts that were leftover after the factory closed. There are a number of parts that have become unavailable over the years, so those parts on these new cars are either parts that have been taken off old cars and remanufactured or parts that have been re-engineered and produced again.

I know of someone who has a brand new pair of original front fenders for the Delorean. Any takers?