vibration in engine

Asked by Apr 13, 2016 at 09:41 PM about the 1978 Dodge D-Series

I just purchased  a 1978 dodge truck with a 318 engine, at about 1500 RPMs
there quite a vibration which I believe coming from the engine and again when
driving it at about 3000 RPM it repeats again quite pronounced where you can
feel it.  I am leaving on a 1700 mile trip in about 6 weeks and I was hoping
someone could give me ideas what to look for...   Thank you Don

Of course the first thing to check is the vibration damper on the front of the crankshaft, look to see if any of the rubber protruding out, or if the outer ring has slipped, is it a standard or automatic tranny?

thank you for the response, I thought maybe the damper but I needed a second opinion. Its a automatic and its hard to see inside but when I looked from under the truck I could see a lot of cracks in the rubber ring around the damper, so does that indicate it should be replaced?

Yes, if it is cracked then absolutely replace it. You would not believe the damage those things can do when they fly apart.

Thank you much, Ive never replaced one myself but I'm going to try,,,,,Thanks again Don