When changing the manual drivetrain clutch how necessary is changing the flywheel?

40

Asked by Jul 08, 2008 at 06:51 PM about the 1976 Dodge D-Series

I purchased a new clutch kit that recommended changing the flywheel and not to resurface it.  I am replacing an identical clutch kit that the previous owner had a shop install which has failed within 3,000 miles.  Is there a way to determine if the shop had replaced the flywheel and got a faulty clutch kit as opposed to installing it wrong?  Are there any obvious tells once I start to disassemble that would point to an answer?  I hope the shop replaced the flywheel so I won't have to contemplate changing the rear main seal.  Are there any factory stamps on a flywheel that could indicate original equipment?  Is there a specific thickness or tolerance required for the flywheel?  Do the clutches being the same part and not like the original equipment make some kind of difference relative to the flywheel? Thanks in advance for taking the time to respond.

You can cut a flywheel to use what is left of a clutch just before you hit the rivets. Check to make sure that there is not a grove in the edge of the flywheel. You should not have to change the flywheel,just get it resurfaced. Check the rear main, also check the front seal of the transmission. Check to make sure everything lines up when you tear it apart. If something doesn't look right, then it probalby is not right. It is hard to install a clutch wrong, unless you don't install a new pressure plate. Also check the clutch bearing, it could be bad.