Cost of bringing back 73' dodge D100

Asked by Jun 11, 2016 at 08:18 PM about the 1973 Dodge D-Series

Hi all. I have a 73' dodge d100 that ran very well from the
day it was parked in a barn. Tires are of course rotted but
that's the least of my concern. I'm simply curious what all
needs to be done to a truck that ran well but then parked
and sat for almost 16 years. Everything looks great but I'm
sure there's a ton of internal work to be done.

Any suggestions on where to start, or rough estimated
price to have someone do this here in the Midwest? I'm
not looking for body work or anything like that I just want
to get it to where I can drive it as a work truck around
town.

Thanks!

11,085

The start is always to get it running very well, then completely, test it Leakdown ONLY! no compression "testing" email me about this project and a complete inspection. Along with all details 170 cu in 225 cu in 383 cu in 360 cu in? and the transmission auto or manual Est under 40hrs to complete a Daily driver after going through EVERYTHING,Power train, suspension and steering, brakes, Regards

Thanks @auto_centric its auto trans I'm actually if I remember correctly it's a 360. Appreciate the input. I'm gonna have to either tow it up to me ($500 to do so) or have someone local fix it. When dealing with a mechanic (even small time-home office type) do they always charge by the hour? Or can you get them to just price for the job? I've heard mechanics charge anywhere from $30-150 an hour, so that's a major concern and a huge gap for me to estimate on my own! Thanks

11,085

On this kind of project you want to get the cost for the total job..someone that can estimate this '73 D100 360V8, auto, and knows what there doing won't be scared to quote the cost...the hourly rate is the worst possibly way to pay for your Trucks "restore" to daily driver status..Remember, a guy working for $30 an hour might take 3 times as long and as someone charging $60 an hour.. But once again, don't pay by the hour! ... after years of vehicle restoration its not difficult to know how long (hours) and cost..Ask for complete references and his portfolio on all vehicles restored. Yes, I know you want it primarily as a daily driver... I do work for a shop where the vehicles arrive in pieces half completed the (person walked away, got tired or whatever!) now we complete them..Regards