1971 Dodge D100

Asked by Jan 10, 2016 at 06:50 AM about the 1971 Dodge D-Series

I have a 71 dodge d100 it idles around 40 psi oil
pressure in park and reverse but when I put it in
drive or reverse the truck dies completely! What
could be the cause of this situation?

71,415

Oil pressure sounds good, nothing to do with this problem. More than likely the problem lies with the carburetor and fuel.

Well its getting gas just change the fuel filter and lines and its a brand new carburetor I notice the when I press the gas u hear air suck in but it hesitate to rev up

71,415

It sounds like it is flooding out. Check by starting it up with the air cleaner off, let her run a bit, and shut it off, and look down the throat of the carb and take note if you see any mist, smoke, fuel wet spots on the sides & butterflies. If so you can try tapping very lightly on the side of the carb where the fuel line goes in while it is running, working the throttle at the same time, IF there is a piece of dirt stuck in the needle valve, this may work it threw. It may take a few tries...

But what making it shut off in drive and reverse?

The top of the carb where the flap piece is that opens and closes its staying open but ain't closing

71,415

Too much fuel, not the right air fuel mixture, like putting water on a fire.

71,415

That is your choke. It should be open when the engine is warmed up, closed when the engine is cold, this does need to be adjusted properly, So this staying open the engine should go just fine if it is not flooding out, once it is warmed up. The butterflies are below the choke.

Okay thanks