Engine wont start or turn over. electricity cuts out. no fuses blown.

Asked by Mattoyota Mar 30, 2017 at 09:15 PM about the 1989 Toyota Pickup

I forgot i had the key in and left my radio running.
I tried to start it but it just clicked a bunch and cut out.
I try to turn the ignition again a few times but still the starter didnt turn.
I unhooked the battery and charged it. Still no start.
I took the battery in and they said its a good battery.
I tried to turn the engine but the electricity cuts of every time i try.
I have to unplug the battery terminals, fiddle with the connection, hook it back up.
When i put the key in, the dash lights up but when i turn the key to start
All electricity Shuts Off.
I have unplugged and replugged the battery terminals a few times, and checked the fusible link connection.
the same thing happens every time, the electricity cuts off.

41,405

Bad/corroded battery terminal wires or loose/bad connection from ground to frame. Check or replace your battery terminal & terminal wires.

Best Answer Mark helpful
12,775

assure that your cables can pull 40 amps ...if corroded, replace them...make sure the battery is newer than 7~ like enginecreator says loose bad connection to frame, tho the engine connection may be just fine...in the "salt belt" you may as well get a new car every ten years~

41,405

Salted roads are bad for cars.

41,405

I was born in Northwest, VA, live at the top of the Blue Ridge Mountains, Above the Sky Line Drive where it starts in the Shenandoah valley. They use so much salt there because of the elevation, cars/trucks I do not think they last even ten years more like 5-7yrs. My Grandfather bought a new car every year and sold or traded in the 1 year old car, He got too old to worry about the rust, as the brake lines are among the first to go and when you have hills around every turn, loosing brakes would do you in or be a bad day anyway. Everybody (most everybody anyway) have a place they work on replacing & cleaning & sanding & painting the undersides every year or so. Also the locals come to rely on the yearly auto inspections that the rest of the country hates as there it can save there rumps. We find ourselves saying all the time when out of town "that POS would not be on the road back home", when a loud smoking junk pile goes by on bald tires, busted out wind-shield, exhaust dragging the ground, with only one light working & its lens busted.

I replaced all the old wire connectors to the battery. i think it was the Ground wire that kept causing the problem, making my fusible-link wire blow out.

41,405

Great. Hope that takes care of the issue.