Turn signals won't work!

Asked by Jan 31, 2017 at 08:36 PM about the 1986 Toyota Pickup

I have a 1986 Toyota Pickup. All four turn signals stopped working at once. No indicator lights on the dash, either.

No blown fuses, replaced flasher and still no working turn signals.

My next thought was the turn signal switch. I removed the column cover and just happened to move the turn signal lever up (without keys in ignition) and all of the sudden all four of the turn signals came on and indicator lights also lit up.

So when the lever is pushed up all four turn signals go off. When the lever is in the middle and down the left turn signals turn on. They will not turn off unless I disconnect the battery.

Would this be a bad switch or something within the wiring?

72,425

Definitely sounds like the turn signal switch. This switch completes the circuit to ground when you move the lever up or down. So the fact that they came on when you moved the switch assembly tells me that the switch has come apart and the wires are touching the inside of the unpainted steering column and making the connection to ground. This is why they're flashing now. HTH. -Jim

5,895

I believe it is grounding of the bulbs..to assure a great connection to the circuit...my advise would be check the grounding of the 2157 bulbs make sure it stays present through all the functions flashers, turns signals DRL's headlights~ check with a meter the grounds...and possibly the Battery is full of corrosion and not puttin' out with the goods~