breaks

45

Asked by Oct 29, 2009 at 05:56 PM about the 1996 Toyota Starlet

How do you tighten rear drum breaks on Toyota Starlet '96

45

jack the rear of the vehicle up, remove wheel and make sure handbrake is disengaged before removing drum cover. There should be an adjustment screw, just wind in or out depending and you'll see them adjusting. Simple! I know a shit load about the older starlets, anyone need parts or advice feel free to add me :)

acadia, mike is right but there are 2 types out there, the one with a starwheel at bottom and the the one with a thick flat plate the bottom between the shoes. the starwheel is the easier one by movin the part with the tabs up or down. the other one (hope you dont have it) is a pain to do and i forgot how to do it. the drum should fit snug.the tabs resembles a star hense the word starwheel. i hope this helps.

45

Thanks I know about the slot ,as I use to do the 73 Chevrolet Elcamino breaks works with a rachet ,you just stick a nice size crew driver in and start to wind it.I think I got the shity one On the starlet.I had my clutch replace with a kit ,by Toyota and it went back 3 times to fix it ,every 4 months the clutch started to shudder on slow take off in traffic ,now Hope they got it correct this time ,told them dont give me the car back untill its fix,they had 3 techs on it ,it seems to be good but I just shake my head .Its is a good car but parts for it costs alot ,rubber weather strips for doors and windows ,$300 Australia a set .73 Holden parts are cheaper to buy and last longer

45

as I said, my knowledge on the ep series is limited as I am K Powered for life! hehehe

mike, dont be too cocky now. i told him the 2 types out there while you were being a vage on the topic.