swapping a petrol for a diesel

Asked by Mar 23, 2014 at 06:02 PM about the 1991 Mitsubishi Pajero

hi my poor old 91 mod 3lt engine has just about seen  it's day and now needs a $2000
odd recon
i was thinking of putting a diesel in its place but i can't seem to find any info .dose anyone
know what size diesel and if i have to change the mounts and gear box? cheers keith

Daniel Foster

whats an odd recon? and hate to say it but you would probably be looking at more money to do a diesel swap if its even possible,, not I sure if it is possible or not though

cheers for answering so quick.$2000 odd recon just meant it's going to cost around 2000 to recondition the motor..I've heard of someone putting a 2.5 diesel. anyway it's worth asking around. thanks

Daniel Foster

yeh I just don't know anything about doing that on that car,, your going to have to change the ECU and most likely a bunch of other shit too,, if I were you I would just redo the engine,, what may I ask is needing to be done? timing belt water and oil pumps aka the 120k mile maintenance ?

g'day, the compression has gone in 3 pistons so it looks like a recondition job anyway i did like the thought of a diesel. thanks for the help.