can I put my 1963 mercury comet into low to climb hills

10

Asked by Aug 16, 2017 at 06:00 PM about the 1963 Mercury Comet

183,035

Why not?

10

I was told that it is not good on the engine. It just struggles when I get to a hill, but if I drop it into low - its fine!

183,035

As long as you do not over rev the engine it will not be a problem. Just don't go to fast in low gear.

183,035

What engine and transmission?

98,425

You sure can. As others have said, don't overrev the engine, or try to go too fast (25 MPH maximum), and keep an eye on the temperature gauge. You should also use low gear for coming down steep grades as well so you don't overheat your brakes. HTH. -Jim