no gas?

10

Asked by Apr 19, 2014 at 11:08 AM about the 1963 Mercury Comet

i have a 1963 comet .i have a new gas tank ,new gas line and new fuel pump..i cannot get
gas from the tank to the pump and from the pump to the carb.. i can get gas from a hose
and a gallon container to the pump /to the carb. can this be a bad sending unit or a bad
pump?

67,465

Since you can pump gas from a 1 gallon jug up to the carburetor that means the fuel pump is good and the lines from the pump to the carburetor are clear. So the problem lies between the gas tank and the fuel pump. First, disconnect the fuel line at the pump that comes from the gas tank. Blow compressed air through it to make sure it's clear. If it is, check for disconnects in that line. If that's ok, remove the sending unit and compare the pick up tube length to the old sending unit. If it's shorter, then there's the problem. HTH. -Jim

10

the sending unit is the same old one that came with the other tank... the tank had a hole in it so it was replaced

305

If the tank had a hole, (I am assuming it was a rust hole?) Then the pickup tube is likely also rusted. If that the case, it likely has some rust holes, which is allowing the pump to suck air instead of fuel. You didn't mention how much fuel was in the tank, I have had cars where they would run fine until the tank was about 1/2 full then run out of gas for this reason, When the fuel level in the tank got below the hole in the pickup tube, that's all it would take. It doesn't take much of a hole for the fuel pump to break sucktion

67,465

I'd definitely replace that sending unit. -Jim