what type of transmission fluid do i used in a 1963 two speed comet

Asked by Apr 28, 2011 at 01:52 PM about the 1963 Mercury Comet

i was told that type f was the right fluid for this car. it is a 1963 mercury comet with a 144 cu engine and two speed trans.I change the fluid and now i don't have reverse is it possible that there to much fluid in it or is it the wrong type of fluid.it ran grate in the pass.can you please inlight me

3,025

Use the original "Type F" or the newer "Type FA".

3,025

Fluid level should be check when hot, idling in park. Often, wear has already occured in transmission and is now evident with new, clean fluid. The fluid acts as a cleaner and the act of changing the fluid cleans out sludge.

Best Answer
15

Usually the type of fluid is marked on the dipstick, if you look close you may find it there. Most ford vehicles 1975 and earlier used the F-TYPE fluid. It's always best to stick with the original manufacturer's suggested type. I've found it hard to find the F-TYPE in the bigger 5 quart containers lately. Wal-mart only carries it in quart containers around here. Prices have leaped on transmission fluid like everything else, so be prepared..