How do I remove the gas tank on a 79 triumph tr7?

Asked by Oct 15, 2013 at 08:13 PM about the 1979 Triumph TR7

Restoring a 79 triumph and need best method to remove fuel tank

18,525

drain fuel , flush with water, drain again after torching if needed ,recoat inside or replace it

25

/\ /\ /\ not helpful 1. Jack up and car high so the axel hangs low , remove road wheel drivers side ( right hand drive car) 2. remove shock 3. remove trailing arm bolt from body 4. empty tank as much as possible by removing the fuel pipe from back of tank and putting fuel into container. 5. disconnect wires remembering to take note witch ine went where. 6. go in boot open the inspection hatch and disconnect the fuller from tank. 7. you are now ready to pull tank, undo the bolts on the straps holding the tank 8. you should now be able to manage the tank out. 9. replace is just the reverse.

25

look at these pictures

25

nest picture

85

I've done it. I have a TR8. The same thing as what Steve said. I completely removed the axle though and replaced the suspension bushings at the same time the tank was out. Odd thing about removing the tank after the straps were out of the way was the way the tank had glued itself in place by way of the no- squeak rubber strips. I had a time getting the tank to drop. You must be under the tank and holding the tank with your knees as you put it back into place. Get some help to guide the neck back up into the space where it should reside while you wiggle the tank back into place.