1979 fj toyota landcruiser that has not been started in two years. What to do?

Asked by Dec 16, 2013 at 08:41 PM about the 1979 Toyota FJ40

I am purchasing a 1979 fj toyota landcruiser. The owner says it has not been started in
two years. He's saying not to start it in fear of it hurting something mechanically. It is an
original f engine. Are there steps that I should take to attempt to start it? Should I
purchase an FJ that I can't even start?

you could put a fresh battery, then a compression tester on each cylinder...we had one of these at the shop and the distributor had been put back in wrong~

squirt a few drops of oil (like from a cliky-oilcan) in each cylinder, before you turn it around ....air, fuel, spark, timing~ make sure we have all them things~

Post your question in the FJ40 Tech section of www.ih8mud.com and you will be hooked up with all the experts.

I just got a '73 FJ 40 running after sitting for nearly eight years. Removed spark plugs and squirted a couple teaspoons of Marvel Mystery Oil into each cylinder, then removed valve cover and sprayed rocker arms, springs, etc. with PB Blaster. Came back a week later and squirted more Marvel down valve stems to lube guides. Drained gas tank (which thankfully was full) and replaced with fresh. Got hold of a 46mm socket and 3/4" breaker bar and VERY gently rocked the crank back and forth until it moved freely, then turned the engine with the breaker on crank two full turns. Hooked up battery and turned it over. I'll be damned if it didn't start and run steady after a couple times. I've replaced the oil and filter once since, and will again soon. Also, replaced the thermostat, flushed radiator twice and am running 2 oz. of Marvel in the gas each fill. It runs strong.