78 toyota fj40

Asked by Oct 25, 2013 at 01:50 PM about the 1978 Toyota FJ40

I'm looking at purchasing an 78 toyota fj40. the owner says that the engine runs hot. Any
thoughts on what this could be? Any assistance would help.
cory

.....walk slowly to the nearest exit~ what happened is someone in the truck's history after a catastrophic steaming overheat (as witnessed by stains underhood) filled with plain hose water...which is okay if you replace it with the 50/50 mix....otherwise the chemistry is such that it will CORRODE all the coolant passages and the head....the block is wasted~ walk away from this deal....if you REALLY wanted to "save the ship" would flush or replace the radiator, replace the waterpump (veins are corroded) open up the block plugs and poke out the freeze plugs....get a special fitting for the garden hose so that you can Blast air in that too....and proceed to FLUSH the block....get NEW hoses (silicone preferred) get a NEW thermostat....basically wash the block...replace the freezeplugs with new ones return the drain plugs and cross your fingers with your new radiator~ you will spend perhaps $1000 in labor to TRY to undo the damage done to this engine~

Best Answer