I have a 77 FJ. All seems to run well. The only exception is that the smell of exhaust radiates into the cabin. I was told by the former owner that there is a header leak.

Asked by Nov 22, 2013 at 09:25 PM about the 1977 Toyota FJ40

Can someone point me in the right
direction?

105,255

A header refers to the exhaust, look on the engine it will be attached to the block and have individual pipes going down to a collector and from there into the rest of the exhaust visa pipes and muffler. Most headers will leak at the collectors after few years and the gaskets will need replacement, but the tubes can also go bad on the header itself. so look it over carefully.

21,785

you'd hear a header leak if was that bad, check your tail pipe for too short and picking up air turbulence and coming in at rear, especially with a window cracked open

Thanks. I have purchased a new header and gaskets.