Engine Doesn't start - Just purchased from private owner - suspect carb - lookin for help

10

Asked by Mar 01, 2009 at 10:45 PM about the 1971 Toyota FJ40

I just bought this 1971 FJ40 (2F Engine).  It ran great during the test drive.  I got 40 miles down the road and everything went wrong.  I was climbing a hill and it slowly lost power as I increased the throttle until it completely died out.  

Tried to restart but couldn't D2 battery low.

Got a jump and car started right away - went a couple miles and climbing another hill same thing happened.

Tried to restart for about 5 minutes.  Now the battery was able to do this.  Very strange that it was strong enough now to sustain 5 minutes worth of starting.

It finally started up and went further down the road in 2nd gear.  As soon as I went to 3rd it stalled out again.  

Started it after 3 minutes or so and finally made it to a parking lot.  

Belt started screaming at high RPM towards the end.  

Towed it home and next day replaced battery, belt, spark plugs, oil and filter, coil, checked distributer, found broken choke cable, tried starter fluid without success.  

The car does not even start now.

I'm thinking that either the engine seized (oil was low when I checked the next day) or the carb has completely failed.  Does anyone have any suggestions.  

I plan on rebuilding the carb next.

7,515

If it's seized it won't turn over when you try to start. If you aren't getting anything from the starter put it in fifth and jack up the back end to turn the drive wheel. It shouldn't be terribly hard to turn, so don't force it. Then check spark Then take your alternator to a parts store and have it tested. The first half sounds like a dead alternator. Let us know where that leaves ya, but I think you may be making a mountain out of a mole hill, or at least I hope so.

10

O.K. I took the alternator to the auto parts store and the 40A alternator was kicking out 39A. So I think that is good. I have not checked the fourth gear yet (don't have a fifth gear). But this morning I gave myself a jump and after multiple start attempts I was able to get the engine started. I noticed after shutdown that the exhaust had blown fuel and oil on the floor of the garage. After it idled for 3 minutes I gave it some gas and it died. I tried to start again and was unsuccessful (didn't try multiple attempts). I will rebuild the carb and check the float tomorrow.

7,515

Sorry nothing I gave you seemed to help, but if it started it's atleast not seized up. Keep us updated, and good luck... And post some pictures at some point.

10

Turns out that it was a bad electric choke. The butterfly valve was never opening to a warm or open position causing the car to stall when gas was let up. This also has solved the rich mixture so - no more black smoke. However, I am still having the problem of power. I went up a steep hill today and could not make even in first gear. This I'm afraid may be a bigger deal. I will check the transfer case fluid and due a compression test on the engine. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

5

Check your dwell

15

if its a 71' its got a 1f engine unless the guy swapped it outt

5

Thanks for the picture. Looks like a great machine. Welcome to the world of used cruisers. As Ken1159 posted you should have an F not a 2F, if it's been swapped, there is no way of knowing what else has been swapped. Check SOR.com to help you ID your componants. Power problems are generally Compression(or lack of) Fuel mixture or ignition. Make sure you are getting a good spark from your coil, check your timing, air filter. Check to see that you are firing on all 6 cylinders. Check this with the engine running and one by one pull the wires and replace them, listen for a change. And you are right definitely do a compression check. And don't give up, it's worth it.

I'm sorry, I am not an native English speaker. On your engine, check the accelerator right (the acceleration pedal has this wire that connects to the motor and accelerates).... sometimes, the attachment gets unscrewed.... it might be me the reason why you are losing power....

Your fuel filter is clogged. Gas tank on old Toyotas often has corrosion which flakes off and clogs fuel filter.