Power steering

5

Asked by Oct 23, 2009 at 11:19 AM about the 1998 Opel Vectra

Hi!
I own a '98 Vectra B Caravan Sport, with the 2.5 V6 in it, and the power steering is giving me problems (so is the handbrake too, slightly), as it didn't pass the inspection. I guess my car has the 'servotronic', or whatever it was called.

The problem is that when you start the car cold, the power steering isn't 'on', so it doesn't help you at all and it's really heavy to turn. The problem disappears after a while of driving as the car warms up. Rarely though turning to left has been heavy too while warmed up.

The car doesn't leak anywhere, so the power steering has the needed fluids in it, that is a checked fact. I don't suspect it to be the pump, because shouldn't the problem be constant then, and not disappear when warmed up?

Thanks in advance! :)

5

its possible the pump is only working at NOT (normal operating temperatures). otherwise i would say drain the system and refill it with fluid, if that doesn't work, take it to a mechanic. steering isn't something you want to mess with to much, as its a major safety issue