1980 triumph spit, steel plate eith tube on it under the intake manifold goes around exhaust header site above catalitic converter,, it rattles around.. drives me nust,,what the hell is thing as I cannot find anything on it..??? Any ideas,,I tried to bend it a little to keep it from rattling and it appears that it relly is not attached to anything..car runs great!

Asked by Jul 30, 2017 at 12:00 AM about the 1980 Triumph Spitfire

steel plate with bent flanges and a round steel tube on it rattles ..it is above the
catalitic converter but is not attached to it.. it wraps around the exhaust pipe
above converter and is not attached to anything there either..again car runs
great ,,i have bend this thing to keep it from rattling but have not tried it yet..it
drives me crazy ..

120,095

Look here ---- http://www.victoriabritish.com/icatalog/sg/full.aspx? Page=84

120,095

Or look here - maybe a heat shield? http://www.victoriabritish.com/icatalog/sg/full.aspx?Page=103

No I looked all the parts catalogs..nothing and looked at my haynes nothing.. it goes around the pipe coming down from the exhaust manifold before the convertor. It just sits there..not attached to anything..The plate has a couple of bent flanges on it and a steel tube on it about an inch and a quarter in diameter..

No no parts catalog shows it or my haynes book.. I have tried to look on you tube also..

Again it really is not attached to anything that I can see,,also again my car runs great but this thing is going to stop rattling one way or another !!!!

120,095

My guess is a heat shield. I would send a photo to Victoria British or call them.

ok thanks a lot guys I really appreciate it.. I do not remember my 1965 or my 1978 having this thing..

120,095

It is probably due to the catalytic converter.

Yeah that is my guess but one would think it would be attached but the top of the convertor is closed and there are no holes or anything to bolt this thing to..as I said I will get it to not rattle but it beats me what it is for..thanks..