Can I use a front wheels dolly trailer to transport a triumph rear wheel drive 4 speed spitfire?

20

Asked by Nov 17, 2013 at 10:07 AM about the 1980 Triumph Spitfire

The rear wheels will be traveling on the road. Does this work with this car that has a rear
wheel drive? Do I just keep the car in neutral and all will be good?  If someone can please
help me with this I do not want to wreck the car.

77,995

You'll have to disconnect the drive shaft. Even with the car in neutral the "innards" of the transmission will be spinning. This will cause the transmission to overheat and be damaged. Transmission fluid not only makes the transmission work but also keeps it cool. Without the engine running the pump in the transmission is off so the transmission fluid is not circulating like it is while driving. HTH. -Jim

20

Thank you Jim for your help! Now as a good mom picking up this car for her son will now need to know how to disconnect the drive shaft and what tools are needed. Is this something I can do?

77,995

You're welcome. Glad to help. You'll need a socket set, a breaker bar, a jack, and your Son's help. At the rear "pumpkin", underneath, you'll see where the drive shaft bolts on. There's usually 4 bolts. Remove them then lower the driveshaft. Pull the driveshaft rearward, out of the transmission tail. It will pull right out. Use a zip lock baggie for the bolts so you don't lose them & you'll be all set. -Jim

20

Hey Jim! One last stupid question if you see this… May I be able to put the car on with the rear wheels on the dolly? and have it travel backwards? Since it's a rear wheel drive would THAT damage the car?

77,995

You sure can. But you have to secure the steering wheel. Personally, if towing any kind of distance with the car I'd rather see you do it from the front. With the front wheels on the ground the car may wander going down the road. While this is not a big deal for a large tow truck. It may be a little dangerous for the average person using a tow dolly. We want you, your son, and the car to get back safely!! HTH. -Jim

20

Ok. I can't thank you enough for your help!!! I might look into a trailer that will accommodate the WHOLE car on the trailer which will really make me feel better.

77,995

You're welcome. Glad to help. -Jim