I just bought a 1979 spitfire needs a lot of work .I paid 1000.00 for it. My boyfriend said I paid to much I say I didn't Do you think I did

Asked by Aug 15, 2015 at 04:33 PM about the 1979 Triumph Spitfire

I think if you really like the car and have real plans for fixing/restoring it, you didn't pay too much. Two years ago I paid $1500 for my '00 Grand Prix. It had sat, under a tree, in my Sister & Brother-In- Law's driveway for 18 months. It was filthy, had a flat tire, and I had to tow it home! This particular Grand Prix has a lot of sentimental value to me. Someone else probably wouldn't have paid $500 for it. But to me the car is worth far more than what I paid for it. Good luck with your MG. I hope you get much enjoyment out of it. Just like I am with my Grand Prix. HTH. -Jim

Bob Beaman

Depends on the condition, I suspect your boyfriend is correct.

$1000 sounds fair if it runs and min. rust.

Do you like it? Does it run/drive? If your happy don't let anybody run it down.

Mary Crawford

It does not run has been sitting for 20 years doesn't have all the parts And yes it has lots of rust

I have 2 doors with glass

What are your plans for this car? Fixing up and getting to drive an old car can be fun and rewarding. It does take time and money. If the car is mostly complete, that's half the battle. I'm sure there's Triumph clubs and forums out there that will be of great help. Start by joining them. Find others who share your affection for these cars and can point you to shops and parts sources. Get a factory shop manual and a factory body manual. These books or CDs (whichever form you like best) will be extremely helpful in getting this car back to running condition. You obviously bought this car because you like it and wanted it. The next step is start enjoying it. As you start working on it even the little things will be rewarding. Like getting the lights to work. Or finding that window glass. You'll enjoy slowly bringing it back to life one step at a time. Then when you finally get to drive it. That'll be the biggest thrill of all. Keep your eye on the prize, dig in, and have fun. HTH. -Jim