Weber carb vs SU

Asked by Feb 09, 2014 at 02:26 PM about the 1979 Triumph Spitfire

I need to rebuild my SU carb for my 79 Spitfire and I do have the rebuild kit. Like any that has not been taken apart before, there are always surprises. I even bought a new manual on carbs to help me out.
However, I was wonder if it would be worth it to invest in the Weber Carb and just get rid of the SU? Anyone have any experience in this process?

50

I have setup twin weber 45's on a 2.0l race alfa nord engine - thirstier and plenty of power, if tuned properly. Webers tend to require long intake manifolds & are infinitely tuneable, good even compression on all cylinders gives best results. SU HS 4& 6 twins not as much flow but very forgiving and provide smooth torquey power, in the great triumph engines also ridiculously fuel efficient. Where most power counts 4000-4500 SU delivers. Stick to SU's would be my advice unless racing & flat out. I have them on my current 2500s & have had them on a lumpy cam 2.7 working good too good for 165-175hp. Sure you need to rebuild them? check the piston is not sticking, if OK just tune in the needles - once no need to always be fiddling with SU's. if your SU are truly stuffed consider mikunis from v-performance before webers.