How do I remove the intake manifold on a 1979 Triumph Spitfire 1500?

Asked by SpitDave May 11, 2013 at 04:29 PM about the 1979 Triumph Spitfire

How do I remove the intake manifold on a 1979 Triumph Spitfire 1500?  I loosened the 4 bolts/clamps, and the manifold is kinda loose, but it just won't come off.  I don't want to break anything.  Am I missing something?  I'm replacing the original carb setup with a Weber carb/intake.

How do you like the British Leyland Engineering?...had a '76 Spitfire myself, isn't there a wonky smog component to disconnect? perhaps you haven't made it all free and clear...inspect....something is holding up the show there...no harm in swingin' a rubber mallet to pound it off, if tolerances are so close (yeah right) or alignment of the posts are such that a micron of interference holds up the show~

40

I just removed mine this morning. It was REALY stuck tight. With the use of a 2" crowbar, and careful leverage, it came loose. The two alignment pins along the top will prevent the intake from moving in any direction except straight out, until it clears the pins. About 1/2". Good luck.

As long as there is NO FUEL PRESENT, try a regular torch (soldering) and heat up the intake manifold for a bit. It should then break free, after it expands. The manifold is aluminum which expands more than the steel head, etc, so as it "grows" it will break the bond.