does 75 spitfire have a pump in the gas tank?

Asked by Aug 18, 2013 at 10:29 PM about the 1975 Triumph Spitfire

I just had the fuel pump replaced and a new carb kit put in.  the car ran good for a few times and now it will not start.  as far as i can tell the gas is not coming out of the tank. there is no gas going to the carb. is there someone who can tell me how to fix this?

105,725

http://www.ebay.com/bhp/triumph-spitfire-fuel-pump -- I believe the original was a mechanical type. Some have had the electric pump upgrades from the threads I have found.

105,725

www.youtube.com/watch?v=caWgOuJlcII -- this is a 76 but should be the same as yours. Can see pump location in video. Drivers side of motor by fire wall.

19,445

the first thing you should have done on an old car is ,flush tank and install a good filter, most restorers coat the tank inside to avoid rust particles coming up,and that's what may have happened ,hopefully a filter caught it, or your new work may be in vane

Best Answer
85

Dump the filter out to see what if any rust particles are plugging the filter. Good advice to get that tank coated. The kit from Eastwood includes an acid to clean the tank plus the coating. Don't let anyone try to sell you on a liner for the tank. The liners will collapse in extreme heat. Just storing your car in a closed garage in hot weather is enough to do it. I had the tank coated on my TR8 with the Eastwood kit. No more starving or stalling.