what is the shift patern in a T2 1967 spitefire

Asked by TrueMtn Jun 28, 2013 at 07:14 AM about the 1967 Triumph Spitfire

Question type: Maintenance & Repair

12 Answers

did not know if this was a motorcycle or plane, but there is no commonly available info for this...My 77 spitfire had a conventional H pattern with ONE at the upper left hand corner...did find a curious little piece...maybe it will help~


It's an H pattern to start with- now, where is reverse? with the engine off, and the clutch in, run through the H pattern to find your 4 forward gears- now reverse will be off to the left or right of this- up or down- on my Healey reverse was to the left of neutral, and back (or down)- I would be amazed if my memory can actually function that far back and if a Triumph is the same as a Healey

1 people found this helpful.

IIRC the reverse if to the right and the shift lever has to be pushed down or pulled up to engage.

2 people found this helpful.

the T-type overdrive had a little slide switch on the shift knob. reverse was pull the shank (interlock) into second positon as I recall~ could have been a J-type (little solenoid on the bottom of the tranny, power to it would always fall off...ended up sewing the lead on with a thin piece of wire)...man...cute car but disappeared amidst 18 wheelers and made the 1 1/2 hour drive Oakland to Sonoma daily for a while with a broken crankshaft~

that little button may be from a motorcycle...just a bit of eye-candy in my search for your shift pattern~

glad you're back to help us again...tenspeed, actually thought you were a carguru computer for a while....what did David say "on duty 48 hours a day"~ you never piped in with the question "can a carguru answer EVERY question...most backed off sayin' NOT every question..."...did not hear your smilin' face on that...because I already know the answer to this~

1 people found this helpful.

Upper row: 1 | 3 | R Lower row: 2 | 4 And if you're lucky there is a sliding knob on top for the overdrive.

2 people found this helpful.

think that little button must be from a four-wheeler arrangement~

1 people found this helpful.

pattern with one t, and spite-fire----yes I ran the thing de-spite being hopelessly in need of serious repair (did not know it at the time)~

1 people found this helpful.

Yeah, that pic looks more like something with selective 4WD and High/Low gear.

3 people found this helpful.

lars is right on this knob which seems to be a 4 Wheel drive car central diffrencial gear selector knob

Thanks guys, The actual patter is as you say the standard H with reverse in the upper left. So R-1-3 on top 2-4 on bottom. Not lucky, No OD. Is a 1967 T2 Thanks DJ

Your Answer:


Looking for a Used Spitfire in your area?

CarGurus has 17 nationwide Spitfire listings and the tools to find you a great deal.


Sell Your Car Yourself

With a simple, secure transaction.

1967 Triumph Spitfire

I have a different car

Triumph Spitfire Experts

  • #1
    Peter Adams
  • #2
  • #3
View All

Find great deals from top-rated dealersTM


Related Models For Sale

Used Triumph GT6
1 listing

Content submitted by Users is not endorsed by CarGurus, does not express the opinions of CarGurus, and should not be considered reviewed, screened, or approved by CarGurus. Please refer to CarGurus Terms of Use. Content will be removed if CarGurus becomes aware that it violates our policies.