280z or zx?

Asked by Feb 01, 2016 at 03:08 PM about the 1978 Datsun 280Z

76,695

Both are great cars but I loved my 280zx turbo.

Best Answer Mark helpful

Hi I'm thinking of importing a 280z car from USA with a vin# HLS 30 452875 but the title states 280zx ? For sure its not . How can that be

76,695

If it is a 1978 model year car then it is a ZX. What does the body look like? The two are easy to tell apart.

Hi The body is just like the 240 /260 . I'm really confused don't know if I should proceed with purchase . Can it be a typo error the vin represents the old shape .

76,695

You may have a car that was made (or sold) in 1978 but is a 77 model year car. The body style tells you what the car is.

So should a zx model be attributed to it? Or is it a mistake typo error. Have made contact with Nissan USA but they are unable to find the vin # details ? So am I buying a ringer a lot of unresolved questions . Any further advice is welcome please.

76,695

It is clear that ZX applies to the newer body style. There is no confusion about that.

But the body style is the older one . I'm still confused

76,695

Good luck with your car. If the body style is a Z then it is not a ZX.

Dear Full of Regrets, Thanks for your insight. In your opinion is this a common error which can be rectified or do I have to live with it? To be honest it's putting me of the purchase even though it's a cracking car. I'm in a tizzy not knowing how to proceed ?

76,695

I am not a car title expert so maybe your should talk to a DMV person in your country and run this past them.