how do I replace a head gasket on a 1978 280z

5

Asked by Aug 30, 2012 at 12:20 AM about the 1978 Datsun 280Z

i need help

228,855

You have to remove the upper intake and all componets that attach to it need to be disconnected. Then remove the head to access the gasket. Reinstall with proper torque specs. Your best bet to get all the information to tackle the job is to purchase a service manual, or do some internet searching for help. http://www.zdriver.com/forums/240z-260z-280z-s30-forums-9/blown-head-gaskets-1053/

45

I can add alittlle insight on this project as I have done many over the several years I owned them. The engine is an easily serviceable engine, a great tip to remember is to fashion yourself a wooden wedge that will be pushed down the fronnt of the engine between the 2 sides of the timing chain." this from hereon will be referred to as the timing chain stick.."This wedge will be driven down between the two sides of the chain to keep the tension on the Timing Chain Tensioner to avoid completely tearing down and reinstalling the complete front cover and timing chain assembly. When finished the chain will be assembled back on the top sprocket and then the stick may then be removed.