not starting

Asked by May 19, 2009 at 01:38 AM about the 1978 Datsun 280Z

my 1978 280z sat in a garage 3yrs,wont start if it does it will only run for 5mintues or so,then it acts like it is running out of gas

7,325

78 so im guessing it is a carb right? carb probably needs to be torn apart and cleaned up in a bad way. get that done with some new plugs, cleaned fuel tank, and enw fuel filter should make it run like a champ again

5

a 78 has no carbs. its fuel injected. run new lines, clean injectors, new gas, and gas filter. that could help.

35

check your MAF and injectors then the brain. Been helping my bro get his running and thats how it was acting

20

I have three Z cars from a 70 to a 78. I have fussed over fuel problems. Since it runs a couple of minutes before it dies it could be a number of things some listed. Does it re-start after it dies? On two of my cars I finally removed the tank and on the 70 Z there was so much rust/corrosion that the fuel line from the tank to the carbs was not letting fuel to be delivered at a steady rate. If you have access to compressed air you can try to blow back from the engine side to the tank. Have someone listen for air bubbles. Another helpful tip is to use a small magnet on a string (fishing line works great and is strong). Feed the magnet and check for rust. Your best bet is to drop the tank and clean it. There are a number of solutions/chemicals to 'rinse' the tank out. If it is really bad you may want to treat it. POR-15 makes a tank kit that will permanently seal the inside of the tank and you will end all of the fuel tank issues.

45

A friend of mine had problems with her fuel pressure regulator.

it could also be the fuel canister (under the hood) plugging up. PULL THE FUEL LINE & RUN THE GAS INTO A QUART JAR & TAKE A LOOK AT IT.