I have a 1977 Datsun 280z with an a starting problem

Asked by Jun 19, 2014 at 09:40 PM about the 1977 Datsun 280Z

I recently purchased a 1977, 280Z.  Sometimes it starts with the key and sometimes,
mostly, it doesn't.  I know for sure it is not the battery and I have tested the starter and
when I short wire it, it starts right up.  I get a clicking sound from the front left, car
facing forward, of the engine close to where the plug wires come into the distributor
cap.  When I contact start it at the starter motor the engine purrs really nice and will
run till I turn it off then most of the time it just clicks and may start sometimes.  Any
ideas?

68,965

Sound,s like a bad cable,check cable from battery to starter.

5,545

280Z has a separate starter solenoid. You don't say what wire you short out to make it start but it sounds like you are touching a wire from the solenoid. to the battery cable... are you?. Give a better description of what your are touching to make it work. A digital photo of area would help too.

10

I had a similar problem with my 1982 Z. It would start up sometimes perfectly, but other times nothing happened at all. The battery, alternator, and everything electrical worked find. What it turned out to be was the ignition switch. Sometimes it made contact to start up, other times it didn't. Possibly try turning the key very very slowly the ensure contact happens. Pretty easy fix.

25

Loose connection on the starter solenoid, tighten the crimp up on the spade that plugs into the solenoid. that is the ignition wire. that should solve the problem.