EVO 3 PROBLEM. CAR KEEPS GOING DEAD WHEN I SLOW DOWN !!

Asked by Feb 18, 2014 at 08:21 PM about the 1995 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution

HELP !! I have a Evo 3gsr turbo (Manual) and i was wondering if anyone would be able to help me out on a problem. everytime i go to slow down/brake the car goes dead ? previous owner told me that he needs to get a HKS BOV because the one in atm is aftermarket and its not pushing enough air in why the car goes dead ? does anyone have a clue ? or is he right. :)

6,015

I don't think that's correct at all, blow off valves relieve air pressure not push air in

135

As an Evo 8 owner, I'm not familiar with the specifics of the Evo 3, but I'm pretty sure the stock engine is going to be using a recirculating diverter valve. Does your current valve vent to atmosphere? The engine is likely calibrated to measure the amount of air coming in through the air filter, and then calculates how much fuel to inject for proper combustion. If the previous owner changed the valve from a recirculating valve (air is dumped back into the intake tract, also known as a diverter valve) to a vent-to-atmosphere valve (the air is dumped to the engine bay, also known as a blow off valve), then the car won't meter fuel properly for the engine, and you can have stalling and other issues. Daniel is correct - a BOV only let's excess air OUT of your intake tract when the throttle closes, like when you let off the gas pedal to slow down or to shift gears.

6,015

if you have it vented to atmosphere you should try to have it recirculated,, its most likely the problem

Oops sorry got it the wrong way around. Wow ok umm i will check it out. Thank you guys :)