Where can I get reliable maintenance/engine work done on a 1967 Shelby Cobra replica?

Asked by Jun 17, 2014 at 03:46 PM about the 1967 Shelby Cobra

I live in Cedar Rapids, Iowa.  Does anyone know or a reliable mechanic for this kind of vehicle?  I took it to a mechanic that was going to improve my driving experience by installing fuel injection as well as just clean things up for me (the vehicle was built by someone that didn't have much car experience, but at least it ran).  After being stored for the winter and then having a handful of runs with it, it won't even start now.  Any suggestions?

Blessings to you... First you have to familiarize yourself with your particular car, as the variations are innumerable. What size is the motor, & who manufactured the motor? For example, let's just say that it was a used V8 motor from a donor late model mustang, then it would be fairly simple to find a mechanic that could work on a late model, fuel injected, Ford V8. Same with the transmission, brakes, diagnostics, etc. Let's face it, it's a fairly basic simple vehicle compared to today's computerized electronically complicated vehicles. So even tho it IS an intimidating vehicle on the road to others, don't let it intimidate you... the lack of knowledge can always be overcome by doing a little reading & research... And remember that it"s basically a motor, a transmission, a rear end, and a fiberglass body. So the more you can familiarize yourself with those basic pieces, then you'll know what you have, which will enable you to seek who you need ... Most likely your regular mechanic could assist you in getting the vehicle up & running... also check with the automotive stores in your area, like Pep Boys, AutoZone, etc., & get to know them... they have access to invaluable info in the shop books & their computers, and could most likely assist you in referrals should you ever have need of a specialist... And as you become more familiar with your specific vehicle, you will be able to better explain the symptoms, thereby you'll be receiving more detailed advice & solutions, k? Hope this helped you a bit, but if I could be of further assistance, please don't hesitate to ask...

Also, you know, you might be able to get her running yourself by trying this first... I would start by getting a full charge on the battery, drain the fuel tank, adding fresh fuel & Chemtool Fuel additive... you might have to prime the carb ( I usually put some 93 octane in a spray bottle & spray a mist, then to be safe, before attempting to start, replace the air filter cover. Pump 3 times, turn the ignition key on, (make sure your cutoff switch-if you have one-is on the on position-the lights on the dash should come on-)press the starter button, and hopefully she'll start...

Other than that, the timing could be off a bit, the carb might need adjusting, or like I stated previously, just the fuel might have gone bad... Does she even crank at all?