How do I install the back bench seat on a 1968 Ford Galaxie 500 Fastback?

Asked by Jul 11, 2015 at 09:00 PM about the 1968 Ford Galaxie

29,075

does it have one in it now????

I bought the car from a relative and the backseat was disassembled behind the front bench seat. Now, I need to put the back seat, back in.

9,160

Arent there hooks at the top, and tabs with screws at the floor, and then you install the lower section, center it and push. then the wire catches in the cutaway in the car's floor? for either side. thats how my torino was if I recall. the Galaxie is just roomier I would think. the last few hundred I had to do at Ford were much newer. but old habits die hard. the simple design is still in use.

If you look at the back sheet metal at the top there are two U shaped tabs that are welded to the steel or stamped out of the steel. The back of the seat outer frame has two places that they slip into these openings. The bottom of the seat back has two projections with holes in them that line up to two holes on the sheetmetal that sheetmetal hex head bolts are used. The bottom of the seat is pushed back against the back portion and then you have to push very hard and down which allows the front of the seat bottom to slip down and underneath the lip in the front. After you let go the tension of the back springs keeps it in place.